Proposed Changes to Theater Square – Buffalo Rising
Legacy Development is seeking Preservation Board approval to make exterior changes to the Pearl Street side of the complex. The work relates to Legacy’s improvements to the complex, including the addition of apartments on the upper level, the consolidation of offices on the lower levels and the expansion of the Tralf Music Hall.
The main change is the addition of nine windows on the second level. Façade work is proposed, necessitated by the removal of a rear pavilion last year.
From the project request:
- Existing tile to be removed
- The existing steel must be cut and removed from the original brick
- The existing brick must be repaired and patched to be restored to the original facade
- The brick facade needs to be repainted.
- Existing awnings should be removed in their entirety and any facade repairs should be carried out accordingly to restore the original facade
- Previous infills should be painted to match the rest of the facade
The interior works include twenty-one one-bedroom apartments on the third, fourth and fifth floors. The apartments, currently rented, contain typical luxury finishes such as granite counter tops, gourmet kitchen appliances, storage facilities, high end plumbing and lighting fixtures and 12 foot exposed ceilings.
The office’s anchor tenant in the building, the local Food & Drug Administration office, moves into renovated offices on the first floor. The Tralf is renovating its room on the second floor while expanding part of the former Club Marcella on the first floor. For the first time, the Tralf will have an outdoor patio along Pearl Street.
The Theater Place complex was redeveloped by a partnership between the city and Theater Place Associates, a group of 21 investors that included Alan Dewart, Irv Weinstein and Irving Korn, with a heavy dose of grant funding from UDAG. It consists of two buildings. The Otto-Kent Building, a five-story structure adjacent to Shea’s, opened in 1896. In 1923 a covered area at the rear was added. It was built as the main central market and later used as a dance hall and bowling alley. The two-storey part, the root building circa 1902, was designed by EB Green.
Be connected: Legacy Development, 716.689.3300